After getting a tattoo you should consider the risks you are exposed to, from skin infection to granulomas. If you are well aware of these health risks then you are looking for a way to prevent them. The most important thing that shouldn’t be neglected even for a second is your hygiene. After getting a tattoo, your skin is very vulnerable and you have to take care of it every time and try to avoid touching the affected area as much as possible. However, you will need to touch it at some point, but before doing it make sure that you are properly washing your hands with proper products to avoid bacterial infection.
As said before, hygiene is really important, therefore you will have to clean the area affected by the tattoo. The main problem is finding a product that can be safely used on such a vulnerable area, but rest assured I prepared a top 10 soaps for tattoos.
Best Antibacterial Soaps for Tattoos
1.Cosco Green Soap
Cosco Green Soap is one of the best-selling tattoo soaps manufactured in the USA under strict standards. One of the most important features of Cosco Green Soap is that it is all-natural. It is made from pure vegetable oils and Glycerine, therefore it is also one of the choices among tattoo and piercing salons. This soap can be used for multiple types of cleaning, such as tattoo cleaning, personal cleaning and even household cleaning, however, it can require mixing with water depending on the cleaning type it is used for.
- Containing only natural ingredients, it can be labelled as an all-natural product.
- As the soap must be mixed with water the real used quantity can be 9 times more than the bottled quantity.
- The quantity from one bottle can be used for large scaled tattoos.
- It has a pleasant scent.
- The price is quite low and the product is affordable for most of the people.
- It needs to be mixed with water before use. (User must read instructions before use, however, this can also be considered a pro as the quantity increases)
- It contains a high quantity of alcohol ( 30% )
2. H2Ocean Blue Green Foam Soap
H2Ocean Soap is another common choice among tattoo and piercing artists. It is specially designed for tattoo wash without causing irritations or other skin damages. It is all natural product that contains generous amounts of aloe vera and minerals. H2Ocean Soap is antibacterial and antimicrobial. Due to its fragrance free property, it can be used by anyone without creating unpleasant sensations. It is recommended to be used from 3 to 4 times a day and while cleaning it is recommended to use warm water as it opens the derma pores and ensures you a better and deeper cleaning.
- All natural product as it is made only from natural ingredients
- It does not contain alcohol, therefore it can be used on freshly done tattoos and even piercings.
- High-quality product at affordable price.
- As it does not contain any fragrance, the risk of allergy that can be caused by fragrances is inexistent.
- Does not contain any animal ingredients, therefore it can be labeled as Vegan product.
- The product carries the cruelty-free label, it was never tested on animals
- As it is a paraben-free product it does not contain any parahydroxybenzoates or esters of parahydroxybenzoic acid.
- Bottle size quite small, the content of one bottle is not enough for a large scale tattoo until the healing process is over.
3. Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap
If you are looking for a soap that provides proper skincare, Tattoo Goo is for you. Not only that it ensures superior skincare without drying your skin but it also lets your skin breath properly. PCMX-L formula is its key feature that combats the microbial and bacterial factors. Another key feature of Tattoo Goo is its gentleness on the skin while providing high killing capability. It is also good for body piercings caring. Also, Tattoo Goo is an all natural product that does not contain any hint of petroleum or any other harmful substances and the product is not tested on animals, cruelty-free PETA approved.
Tattoo Goo deep cleansing soap is specially designed for tattoo aftercare. It is suitable for dry skin as it not only cleans but it also moisturizes the skin.
- It contains only natural ingredients, therefore it can be labeled as an all natural product.
- Compared to other similar products it can be considered quite cheap.
- Quite mild soap as it is PH balanced.
- Deep level cleaning and superior skincare.
- Contains antimicrobial and antibacterial agents for proper skincare.
- The product is not tested on animals, therefore it carries the cruelty-free label.
- It may leave a greasy sensation after rinse.
- Some customers complained about the size of the product.
- Not suitable for large scale tattoos due to its small size.
4. Provon Antimicrobial Lotion Soap
If you are looking for a tattoo soap big enough for a large scaled tattoo, Provon may be the one you are looking for. It is petroleum-free, sulfate-free and paraben-free, containing only natural ingredients. It has a high bacterial and microbial killing capacity. Provon is suitable for all skin types providing professional care without drying or damaging your skin. It is also a vegan product and carries the cruelty-free symbol.
- Contains only natural ingredients and can be labeled as an all natural product.
- Works great against bacteria and microbes as it contains both antibacterial and antimicrobial agents.
- It is PETA approved, therefore the product is not tested on animals and has the cruelty free label
- Great quality product at a fairly low price, affordable by most of the people
- Vegan product as it does not contain any animal ingredients.
- Its generous quantity within one bottle makes it suitable for large scaled tattoos.
- It can be considered a mild soap as it is PH balanced.
- A high amount of customers complained about the bottle not being full.
5. Billy Jealousy Make Your Mark Tattoo Wash
Billy Jealousy tattoo wash’s key features are to assist the healing process and to revive the aging ink, therefore it is a good fit for both old and recently done tattoos (recommended to use on tattoos that are at least two weeks old). It moisturizes the skin and enhances the tattoo vibrancy. Within its formula, it contains cucumber extract and hydrolyzed oat protein. The soap also removes the dead skin cells in a gentle manner, being harsh on bacteria not on the skin. It has a pleasant rosemary – mint scent that pleases most of the people.
- PETA approved, the product is not tested on any animal.
- The bottle is big enough for proper care of medium sized – large sized tattoos.
- It is suitable for all types of skins.
- Can be used as a daily skincare product for tattoos.
- Enhance the ink’s properties and brings old tattoos back to life.
- Does not contain only natural ingredients.
- The fragrance can be unpleasant for some people.
- It can be quite pricey compared with similar products.
- As it contains a fragrance, the risk of allergy is low but not zero.
6. Essential Values Green Soap
Essential Values Green Soap provides competent cleaning and healing characteristics suitable for tattoo caring. It does not contain any harsh ingredients and can be labeled as an all-natural product. Without harmful chemical additives, it ensures an irritation and damage-free experience. Its antibacterial agents provide a proper cleaning capability that exceeds user expectations.
- Does not contain any chemical ingredients, it is made only with natural products.
- It contains potent antibacterial agents that kill 99% of known bacteria.
- The quantity within one bottle makes it a good choice for large scaled tattoos as it is enough for proper care for a long period of time.
- The products are not tested on animals, Cruelty-free product.
- It is not recommended to be used on newly done tattoos as the product contains alcohol.
7. Dial Antibacterial Foaming Soap
Dial Foaming Soap guarantees to kills 99.99% of bacteria. Besides cleaning, it also moisturizes the skin. It is suitable to be used on vulnerable areas as the soap is gentle on skin yet harsh on germs. After applying the soap on the desired area you should wait for about 20 seconds in order to achieve proper cleaning, then it should be rinsed clean with water. For safety reasons, it is recommended to avoid ingesting it and its contact with eyes.
- Comes in a large quantity, 7.5 oz.
- Contains antibacterial agents that kill almost all known bacterial agents.
- Due to its big quantity, it is enough soap in one bottle for proper care of large scale tattoos.
- Suitable for dry skin as it also moisturizes while cleaning.
- Unfortunately, Dial products are tested on animals, therefore it is not cruelty-free.
- The soap can be considered a bit pricey compared to other similar soaps.
8. Castile Soap
Castile Soap is a good choice for large tattoos. It is a fragrance – free product and also it contains both antibacterial and antimicrobial agents that ensure a bacterial – free and microbial – free experience. Its highly potent cleaning characteristics makes it easy to get rid of the excess ink. For tattoo care, the content should be mixed with water to avoid harming your skin.
- The large quantity within one bottle makes it perfect for large scale tattoos.
- Antibacterial and antimicrobial agents that kill most of the known threats.
- The risk of allergy caused by ingredients used for fragrances is 0 as the product is fragrance-free.
- As the product is not tested on any animal, we can say that it is a cruelty-free product.
- Does not contain any sulfate, gluten or paraben ingredients.
- Must be mixed with water for tattoo cleaning. (this can also be considered a pro as its quantity increases)
- Unfortunately, it does not contain only natural ingredients.
- Compared with other similar products, it is quite pricey.
9. Alra Tattoo Unscented Foam
Alra Foam is a good choice for tattoo care for people with dry skin. It enhances the healing process and also heals and soothe skin irritation. Not only that it cleans the area but it also moisturizes it. The soap contains antibacterial agents that prevent potential infections. It is alcohol-free and unscented.
- Not tested on animals, therefore it is a cruelty-free product.
- Suitable for freshly done tattoos as it does not contain any fragrance additives and does not contain alcohol.
- Petroleum free, gluten-free and paraben-free product.
- Suitable for dry skin as it moisturizes the skin.
- Prevents and heals irritations.
- Contains antibacterial agents that reduce the risk of infections.
- Does not contain added colors or dyes
- Price quite low compared to other similar products.
- Due to its small size, it is not suitable for large scale tattoos as the content of a bottle can not last through all the healing process period.
10. Dr Numb Foaming Soap
Made in Canada, Dr Numb not only that clean the affected area, but in cases of new tattoos, it helps by numbing the skin. Acting as a temporary pain relief makes it great for the ones that can’t stand the healing process pretty well. It carries antibacterial agents that are able to kill most of the known bacteria. The correct way of use requires the soap to stay on the skin for 5 to 10 minutes to settle before rinse.
- Contains potent antibacterial agents.
- Suitable for freshly done tattoos as it numbs the skin while cleaning it.
- Contains only doctor trusted ingredients
- It is not tested on animals, therefore it carries cruelty-free label.
- Due to its small size, it is not suitable for large scale tattoos as the content of a bottle cannot last through all the healing process period.
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t contain only natural ingredients.
- It is quite pricey compared to similar products.
- Customers complained about its numbing capability as the area stays numb for a short period of time.
- Requires 5 – 10 minutes before rinsing with water.
Before jumping to conclusions and buying the fanciest packed soap or the most expensive one you can find, you should better consider the following characteristics:
Always check the label! You really should avoid applying soaps that contain harsh chemicals on your vulnerable skin. Doing so you can end up with irritation that won’t be beneficial to your skin at all. Also by using soaps that are not alcohol-free can lead to dry skin.
2. Antibacterial elements
Before purchasing a soap for your tattoos, you have to make sure that the soap presents antibacterial agents that ensure the fact that you won’t get infected. It is essential to lower the chance of contacting any pathogens down to 0%, especially when the skin is more vulnerable than ever.
3. The type of your skin
You should always choose the product based on your skin type, choosing a soap that is designated for a different type of skin than yours, sometimes can lead to skin harming. Therefore, if you have sensitive skin, you should be way more careful when you choose the soap as most of the soaps are designed for regular skin.
If it is expensive it doesn’t mean that it is always better. Before making the final decision, you should compare a bunch of different products and make the decision based on their specification not on their price. However, if it is too cheap to be true, it is probably not true. Therefore avoid products that give you an uncertainness sensation and buy based on features not on price.
5. Personal taste
We are all human beings and we like different things, so there is nothing wrong with taking into consideration the soap’s scent. Getting a product with a scent you hate is not a good idea. Therefore personal tastes apply even when choosing a soap. However, it is recommended for the tattoo soap not to have a scent at all as there is a small risk to develop allergic reactions or infections. These can be caused by the ingredients used to obtain a certain fragrance.
Questions & Answers
Why do you need antibacterial soap?
Antibacterial soaps are not only preventing irritations and infections but can also enhance the healing process. As antibacterial agents are the worst enemy of pathogens, it is essential for the soap to contains them. To understand the necessity of antibacterial agents, you have to understand the risk of contacting pathogens. As pathogens can cause diseases when entering the human body we can deduce that it is essential to be protected. Depending on the pathogen the outcome can vary between a common cold to hepatitis, tuberculosis and malaria.
Should you rinse the tattoo soap with water after usage?
It depends on the soap you use. Some of them can be used as a sanitizer and do not require to be risen off with water, some of them may require to be mixed with water before using and some of them can be used as normal soaps. Before usage make sure you read the instructions in order to use the soap correctly.
Does the tattoo soap have to be unscented during the healing process?
During the first period of healing (about 5 days) it is recommended that the soap should be unscented, as the fragrance additives can cause irritations. However, after this period (5 days) the area affected won’t be as vulnerable as it was and you can safely use scented soaps. You should also consider your known allergies as some soaps can cause allergic reactions.
Does the soap affect the color of the tattoo?
During the healing process, if the soap is scented it can make the tattoo fade faster as it can irritate the area. To avoid any possible negative effects on freshly done tattoos you must use unscented tattoos for the first period of healing. Not doing so can lead to a faded tattoo and the only option to repair it is by a new set of ink.
Is it fine to take a bath or to go swimming after getting a tattoo?
Unfortunately, if you soak your new tattoo you can cause serious damage, thus it is recommended to avoid long baths, hot and salty water for at least 2 weeks after getting it. However, you should stay clean in order to prevent infections, therefore showers are recommended, but avoid hot water and, don’t forget, at the end to pat the tattoo dry with a clean and soft towel. Use only antibacterial soaps on the tattoo every time you take a shower as the risk of infections is pretty high and the tattoo requires special care.
It is important for soap to have antibacterial agents in order to properly erase all the potential health risks. The soap not only has to do the cleaning job but is also important to leave a pleasant feeling after use. Most importantly for proper care, it should be used daily on a regular basis. The soap quantity is quite important, especially when you have to take care of large scaled tattoos as the soap must be properly applied and the shortage may not be accepted as it can lead to health problems especially during the healing process. Moreover, you should always consider your skin type as some soaps can be harsher than others on skin.